Should you move your bank?
By late August, 40 branches of Barclays will close their doors. The latest announcement of 27 locations follows news in March of another 13 that will shut. And that’s on top of 63 that have already disappeared this year.
Here’s what you need to know.
When are the banks closing?
All 40 branches are to close by the end of August. The list further down the article tells you which branches are going and when. A total of 103 Barclays branches will have closed by the end of 2022.
What to do if your branch is closing
If you use your branch
If you do regularly visit a branch it’s going to be bad news. You can pay in and withdraw money from your local Post Office, which might be enough, though there may be limitations on how amounts per day.
Alternatively, you can open up another account at a bank which does have a local branch near you (though that’s not always easy at the rate they are going at all the banks).
Depending on the new bank you choose, if you also switch (which will close your existing Barclays account), you might be able to nab a switching bonus of up to £170 from the other bank. Plus all your Direct Debits, standing orders and payments into your account will be moved over for you, so you won’t need to change anything manually.
If you don’t want or can’t get a switching bonus then that’s fine. You can just keep your old Barclays account open – even if you don’t use it.
If you don’t use your branch
The reason the branches are closing is that only 10% of Barclays transactions are done in person. So if you do everything online, you’re probably not going to worry about losing access to a branch’s facilities.
In that case you don’t have to do anything – but I’d suggest you do. The recent changes to the Barclays Blue Rewards scheme render it pointless, so I’d switch to a different account, either for the switching bonus or a better ongoing reward.
Which Barclays Bank branches will close in 2022? (a-z)
March and May announcements
- Alfreton, Derbyshire 26/08/2022
- Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire 01/07/2022
- Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex 22/06/2022
- Billericay, Essex 24/08/2022
- Bridgnorth, Shropshire 26/08/2022
- Chester-le-Street, County Durham 12/08/2022
- Chesterfield, Derbyshire 19/08/2022
- Chorley, Lancashire 24/08/2022
- Corby, Northamptonshire 10/08/2022
- Dunmow, Essex 19/08/2022
- Epping, Essex 22/06/2022
- Felixstowe, Suffolk 29/06/2022
- Feltham, Hounslow 12/08/2022
- Gateshead, Tyne and Wear 01/07/2022
- Havant, Hampshire 10/08/2022
- Heswall, Merseyside 01/07/2022
- Holloway, London 25/08/2022
- Lampeter, Dyfed 23/08/2022
- Longton, Staffordshire 19/08/2022
- Ludlow, Shropshire 26/08/2022
- Maldon, Essex 05/08/2022
- Manchester 23/06/2022
- Middleton, Greater Manchester 05/08/2022
- Muswell Hill, London 24/06/2022
- Peterborough, Cambridgeshire 05/08/2022
- Petersfield, Hampshire 12/08/2022
- Pinner, Harrow 29/06/2022
- Prestwich, Greater Manchester 12/08/2022
- Rawtenstall, Lancashire 29/06/2022
- Ripon, North Yorkshire 25/08/2022
- Ryde, Isle of Wight 04/08/2022
- Saffron Walden, Essex 26/08/2022
- Selby, North Yorkshire 03/08/2022
- Sheerness, Kent 19/08/2022
- Sidcup, Bexley 10/08/2022
- Southgate Chase Side, Enfield, London 18/08/2022
- St Austell, Cornwall 24/06/2022
- Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire 23/06/2022
- Surbiton, Kingston upon Thames 01/07/2022
- Wells, Somerset 12/08/2022